List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Spiros Georgaras <sng () hellug ! gr>
Date:       2007-08-04 20:01:31

On Saturday 04 August 2007 Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 4. August 2007 schrieb Spiros Georgaras:
> > On Saturday 04 August 2007 Harald Sitter wrote:
> > > We also tought about making the UI more consistent in matters of
> > > translation. In fact we are considering to remove translations which
> > > are lower than average. For 1.4.6
> > > http://aplg.kollide.net/amarok/l10n/amarok-1.4.6.html
> > > that would be < 77% translated.
> >
> > I don't think there should be such a limit at all
> > Since a translation team has passed the limit defined by kde, I think all
> > translations should be included in released packages.
>
> Uh, just because a language has a dir in kde doesn't mean it is entitled to
> be officially packaged. You have to have at least a certain percentage to
> be included in the official releases.

Sure it's not enough to for a language to have a dir in kde, in order to be
officially packaged. What's enough (or should be enough) is:
Thresholds:
	kdebase - 75%
	kdelibs.po - 90%
	desktop_l10n.po - 75%
	desktop_kdelibs.po - 75%
Source: http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/stable/essential.php

> > Consider the
> > situation where each application would set its own limit:
> > Who would be able to follow this?
>
> And since (most of) the apps you listed are extragear, which means they
> don't follow the main release-schedule, it also means they aren't included
> in the official KDE releases. So I see no problem with each app setting an
> own threshold, actually it means that k3b wouldn't have to be shipped with
> a German (for example) translation that translates only 1 string and is
> embarrassing for whole kde...

The apps I listed were just an example (random selection of app names).

The issue here is that there must be a limit that's predefined and known to
everybody,  for all the apps in kde svn, no matter which package or branch
they reside. And this is what the page I referred to does.

If we are concerned about the percentage of translated messages included in
released packages, and want to set a higher limit, it must be set globally.
That's all I'm saying...

--
Kind regards
Spiros