List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Double strings
From:       Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzerf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-09 11:24:16

On Montag, 9. Juli 2007, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am translating Kate these days and I found some odd things.
> >
> > Most strings in katesymbolviewer.po and katetabbarextension.po seem to be
> > in kate.po already so they are there twice.
>
> As someone who is not a translator: Where is the problem? ;)

I am always oblivious about that most coders know as much about translation as
most translators know about coding. :)
Well. :) There is much to do, so maintaining the same strings twice is even
harder. They must be kept in sync to have a consistent translation.
In some places it is unavoidable to translate one string several times (like
the OK or Cancel from the buttons), but there I can see the reason for that.
The strings come from different locations.
In Kate the equal strings are not only equal but the same ones. E.g. if I
compare the strings "Functions" and "Structures" from kate.pot and
katesymbolviewer.pot
(http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/kdesdk/), I get the
following:

==
kate.pot:
#: plugins/symbolviewer/tcl_parser.cpp:42
#: plugins/symbolviewer/php_parser.cpp:44
#: plugins/symbolviewer/fortran_parser.cpp:50
#: plugins/symbolviewer/cpp_parser.cpp:45
msgid "Functions"
msgstr ""

#: plugins/symbolviewer/php_parser.cpp:43
#: plugins/symbolviewer/cpp_parser.cpp:44
msgid "Structures"
msgstr ""

==
katesymbolviewer.pot:
#: cpp_parser.cpp:45 fortran_parser.cpp:50 php_parser.cpp:44 tcl_parser.cpp:42
msgid "Functions"
msgstr ""

#: cpp_parser.cpp:44 php_parser.cpp:43
msgid "Structures"
msgstr ""
==

It is exacly the same, just in another format, so I thought one of them could
be deprecated. As far as I can see it is the same with kate.po vs.
katetabbarextension.pot.

So, can you please check if it is necessary to have those strings in kate.pot
on one hand and katesymbolviewer.pot on the on the other hand?
I CC this mail to kde-i18n-doc as well, maybe someone there knows what's going
on (in case you are not so familiar with the l10n infrastructure).

> > And there is a string "Click for closing actual search results". Is it
> > really "actual" here? "current" seems to match better (without having a
> > look at the gui).
>
> You are right, I've changed it to "Click to close the current search
> results."

thanks. :)

regards