List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2007-06-20 8:35:13

On Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2007, Yukiko Bando wrote:

> OK.  I understand why you chose "semantic" instead of "graphic".
>
> How about looking at it this way then?
>
> (action) @action
> (title) @title
> (label) @label
> (option) @checkbox, @radiobutton, @combobox, @item
> (info) @tooltip, @whatsthis, @process, @info
>
> The five categories (between brackets) are based on semantics.
> The option and the info are so diverse that they are split into
> subcategories (actual tags) to make translators life easy. :)

OK, I like the idea to have an easy life as translator very much.
But I don't like the idea of splitting semantic tags into subtags.

If I get it right, then the goal behind semantic tags is to give us an _idea_
what we are translating. If the goal was to give us a really precise view,
then I would propose a completely different solution (a graphic solution,
where a translator would really _see_ the context of every single message in
a dummy GUI or something like that).

So I'd like to see not too much split into subcategories, but mainly keep the
number of tags low and thus keep the system at all really simple. The basic
set of tags provided by Chusslove is (in my opinion) sufficient.

In this context please remember the periodically upcoming discussion about a
webinterface for translators. The main argument for such a system is usually
to lower the barrier for new translators and thus to ease the process of
translation. Some few simple semantic hints (as proposed by Chusslove) would
be in the sence of an easy translation system and will come in handy for new
translators. But a complex tags system (with many things to learn and
remember) would result in the opposite.

Cheers
Thomas