List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-06-19 13:25:00

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Yukiko Bando :]
> > [...] In that sense, it might be better to separate text to
> > radiobuttons as @radiobutton. This way, @option will not be used
> > erroneously. :)
>
> Hm. Thinking more, why couldn't radio button actually be same as
> checkbox, i.e. @option, as I initially proposed? Isn't it really just
> an "exclusive checkbox"?
>
> For example, just looking at:
>
>   Tab Key Mode if Nothing Selected
>     ? Insert indent characters
>     ? Insert tab character
>     ? Indent current line
>
> there is nothing that motions to immediately say whether question marks
> are checkboxs or radio buttons. Only by close inspection of meaning it
> is clear that it would be illogical if two of these would be "checked",
> hence they should be radio buttons.
>
> Or better yet, compare:
>
>   Keys to Use
>     ? Tab key indents
>     ? Backspace key indents
>
> Should these now be checkboxes or radio buttons? Is it a conflict if
> both Tab and Backspace "indent"? The meaning here is actually that Tab
> indents *forward*, and Backspace *backwards*, and user may wish none,
> one or both, so they are set as checkboxes.
>
> Am I making a case for radio to be @option again? :)

No.  I use different styles for text to checkboxes and text to
radiobuttons.  See my reply to Marek. :)

Why not use @checkbox, @radiobutton and @combobox as written in source
code (QCheckBox, QRadioButton, QComboBox) and @item only for other
entries like encoding names?  Isn't it more intuitive?  Then translators
would not need to guess where this message appears.

> > Are we supposed to put a Japanese word after "label=" here?
>
> Yes. You can always clear such doubts (at least I think so? :) by
> looking at the formatting pattern in kdelibs.po:
>
>   msgctxt ""
>   "@warning-with-label/rich\n"
>   "%1 is the warning label, %2 is the text"
>   msgid "<b>%1</b>: %2"
>   msgstr ""
>
> Here it shows which elements will be put into the translated text.

OK.  Thanks.

Yukiko