List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-19 1:08:49

> [: Yukiko Bando :]
> [...] In that sense, it might be better to separate text to radiobuttons
> as @radiobutton. This way, @option will not be used erroneously. :)

Hm. Thinking more, why couldn't radio button actually be same as checkbox,
i.e. @option, as I initially proposed? Isn't it really just an "exclusive
checkbox"?

For example, just looking at:

  Tab Key Mode if Nothing Selected
    ? Insert indent characters
    ? Insert tab character
    ? Indent current line

there is nothing that motions to immediately say whether question marks are
checkboxs or radio buttons. Only by close inspection of meaning it is clear
that it would be illogical if two of these would be "checked", hence they
should be radio buttons.

Or better yet, compare:

  Keys to Use
    ? Tab key indents
    ? Backspace key indents

Should these now be checkboxes or radio buttons? Is it a conflict if both
Tab and Backspace "indent"? The meaning here is actually that Tab indents
*forward*, and Backspace *backwards*, and user may wish none, one or both,
so they are set as checkboxes.

Am I making a case for radio to be @option again? :)

> Are we supposed to put a Japanese word after "label=" here?

Yes. You can always clear such doubts (at least I think so? :) by looking at
the formatting pattern in kdelibs.po:

  msgctxt ""
  "@warning-with-label/rich\n"
  "%1 is the warning label, %2 is the text"
  msgid "<b>%1</b>: %2"
  msgstr ""

Here it shows which elements will be put into the translated text.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team