List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-06-18 23:22:50

Chusslove Illich wrote:

> The purpose of this is to give needed info to translators, so no reason
> to not bring up anything. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit :)

Thanks. :)

> I can indeed imagine tooltip being different than whatsthis. For
> example, if the action is "Do this" (command form), the tooltip could
> be "It does this..." (third person), and whatsthis "This is being
> done..." (impersonal). So, the @tooltip goes in.

Great!

> Perhaps whatsthis
> could remain under @info, but then again, once there is @tooltip,
> having @whatsthis seems like a good symmetry. And both are straight to
> remember, as they map to a single type of texts.

Not only for symmetry, it would help translators "visualize" what they are
translating.  In that sense, it might be better to separate text to
radiobuttons as @radiobutton.  This way, @option will not be used
erroneously. :)

> Regarding @shell, at the last moment I considered it too @info :)
> @shell is strange; originally I thought of @shell only due to
> formatting, because @info would format with HTML tags, which is wrong
> for the shell output. But, programmer can force the formatting (one of
> /plain, /rich, /shell), so the shell info would be "@info/shell".
> (Actually, I just made up the /shell format, the article mentions only
> /plain and /rich, but I was thinking about it for some time. I'll add
> it to the Techbase article as well.)

In Japanese, @shell is not necessarily only about formatting, but if we
can distinguish them, I'm fine with your solution.

> > We translate "note" in different ways depending on whether a message
> > is positive (e.g. hints, tips) or negative (e.g. restrictions). Can
> > we omit to translate "Note:" in kdelibs.po or omit the tag in
> > individual messages? [...]
>
> You could do precisely that, but there's perhaps a nicer option. Let's
> add an optional label attribute to the <note> and <warning> tags, eg:
>
>   msgctxt "@info"
>   msgid "... <warning>This cannot be undone.</warning>"
>   msgstr "... <warning label='Attention'>This cannot be
> undone.</warning>"

Are we supposed to put a Japanese word after "label=" here?  I'm getting
confused...

> so the original would come out as "Warning: ...", but the translation
> as "Attention: ...". For formatting, kdelibs.po would contain two
> entries, like this:
>
>   msgctxt "@warning/rich"
>   msgid "<b>Warning</b>: %1"
>   msgstr ""
>
>   msgctxt ""
>   "@warning-with-label/rich\n"
>   "%1 is the warning label, %2 is the text"
>   msgid "<b>%1</b>: %2"
>   msgstr ""

Yukiko