List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-18 19:18:18

> [: Yukiko Bando :]
> @shell is not listed on the page. Which tag will be assigned to command
> line options?
> [...]
> [...] Would it cause any problems, either for programmers or translators,
> to split @info into @whatsthis, @tooltip and @info (for other messages)?
> [...] Sorry for bringing this up again but I still can't give up.

The purpose of this is to give needed info to translators, so no reason to
not bring up anything. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit :)

I can indeed imagine tooltip being different than whatsthis. For example, if
the action is "Do this" (command form), the tooltip could be "It does
this..." (third person), and whatsthis "This is being done..." (impersonal).
So, the @tooltip goes in. Perhaps whatsthis could remain under @info, but
then again, once there is @tooltip, having @whatsthis seems like a good
symmetry. And both are straight to remember, as they map to a single type of
texts.

Regarding @shell, at the last moment I considered it too @info :) @shell is
strange; originally I thought of @shell only due to formatting, because
@info would format with HTML tags, which is wrong for the shell output. But,
programmer can force the formatting (one of /plain, /rich, /shell), so the
shell info would be "@info/shell". (Actually, I just made up the /shell
format, the article mentions only /plain and /rich, but I was thinking about
it for some time. I'll add it to the Techbase article as well.)

> We translate "note" in different ways depending on whether a message is
> positive (e.g. hints, tips) or negative (e.g. restrictions). Can we omit
> to translate "Note:" in kdelibs.po or omit the tag in individual messages?
> [...]

You could do precisely that, but there's perhaps a nicer option. Let's add
an optional label attribute to the <note> and <warning> tags, eg:

  msgctxt "@info"
  msgid "... <warning>This cannot be undone.</warning>"
  msgstr "... <warning label='Attention'>This cannot be undone.</warning>"

so the original would come out as "Warning: ...", but the translation as
"Attention: ...". For formatting, kdelibs.po would contain two entries, like
this:

  msgctxt "@warning/rich"
  msgid "<b>Warning</b>: %1"
  msgstr ""

  msgctxt ""
  "@warning-with-label/rich\n"
  "%1 is the warning label, %2 is the text"
  msgid "<b>%1</b>: %2"
  msgstr ""

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)