List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Scripty, translations, XML, and Turtle (RDF in the semantic desktop)
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?Tr=C3=BCg?= <strueg () mandriva ! com>
Date:       2007-05-28 11:09:36

-- Please CC me since I am not subscribed to the list. --

Hi translation dudes,

some of you may know that I am working on the semantic desktop project with
the ugly name Nepomuk-KDE. An important part are the RDF/S ontologies that
define the classes and properties used for the semantic information. These
are (and will be) defined in RDF+XML or Turtle format. So far so simple. Now
I would love to have all class and property names and comments
internationalized so we can reuse them for GUI elements (labels and tooltips
for example).

This is where scripty comes in: I don't think extracting messages from XML
files is a big deal, is it? I think it is already done for ui files, right?
But what about Turtle files? Turtle [1] is a quite simple to read format to
serialize RDF.
Internationalization works roughly like this:

"Some Label"@en
"Irgendeine Bezeichnung"@de

Raptor (the parsing part of redland) has bindings for perl, python, ruby, and
some more [2].

Please take a moment to think about this and tell me if this is feasible (and
BTW: would it be possible for the Gnome guys to adopt scripty? I get the
feeling their translation efforts are not very well organized on the
technical side).

Thanks a lot,
Sebastian

[1] http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/