List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags in KDE4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-04-27 22:31:01

> [: Luciano Montanaro :]
> For:
> [...]
> - It annotates the text, so that the translator knows if a message has
>   to be short (action), or if it may be a bit longer (info)

Not only that, but also sometimes different grammatical forms of the same
message are appropriate in different situations. For example, in my
language "Open file" as menu item would be like English in command form, but
in the window title of the dialog that pops up better would be something
like "Opening of a file".

> Agains:
> [...]
> - Some of the translator may be confused by the tags [...]

True, but the rule is simple and consistent: don't touch tags. This helps
remembering it.

Then, it is not hard to install checker scripts which will report back at
designated coordinators upon discovering unknown (i.e. translated) tags.

> - If the translator forgets to close a tag, or mistypes a tag [...]

What I do, and I suspect many others do, is first to copy a message with tags,
or at least the tagged part, and then "work around", deleting English and not
touching tags. This helps avoiding errors.

The checker scripts would also serve to amend these problems.

Also, the i18n system itself would not be too fussy, at runtime it would try
to just remove malformed tags and at least keep the text.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team