List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: please add te to subdirs file
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2007-04-13 11:34:13

On Friday 13 April 2007, vijay kamuju wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does this mean I need to modify all the .desktop files lying the svn ;)
> >
> > No, you cannot do that. Scripty re-generates the translations of .desktop
> > files at each Scripty run.
> >
> > Now that branches/stale/l10n/subdirs has a "te" entry, the .desktop files
> > will get translation for Telugu and will even be released that way, even
> > if there would not be an official release of Telugu in the next KDE
> > 3.5.x.
> >
> > What I mean with "outside Scripty" is the case where you want to show the
> > new translation in an existing distribution.
>
> Hi,
> Can you please tell me how to do that "outside Scripty" thing for
> existing distribution?
> May be I can think of writing a tool.
> Thanks,
> VJ

Well, a .desktop file has many key-value pairs like

Name=foo

That is the untranslated version.

For translation, you must create an entry with the key in the corresponding
language:

Name[te]=foo translated

(For other basic information about .desktop files, you can also look at the
specification:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec )

If you want to look at Scripty's scripts in branches/stable/l10n,
you will find the script find_files which tries to find all kind of .desktop
files in KDE. (I think that this is the hardest part).

The merge of the translation into the .desktop files is done by the script
merge_desktop_files.sh which uses the program compiled out of the file
apply.cc

Note that for KDE4, there are a few changes compared to KDE3, due to the use
of the context for keys. The script apply.cc is now called applycontext.cpp
(but the compiled code is still named simply apply, due to the compiled
translations). For understanding the code, you need to now that in compiled
translation Gettext use the control character 4 (also known as Control-D) to
separate the context (msgctxt) from the text (msgid). So it is quite similar
to what we did with the = sign in KDE3.

Have a nice day!