List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/kicker/kicker/ui
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-20 20:05:27

On February 20, 2007, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hm. that's really sad. because the parens look horrible.
>
> And parens don't look horrible in "Description (Name)" format some
> lines further?

yes, they do; however, it is neither the default nor does it work the same
grammatically.

> > let me ask you this then: would "Name - Description" work better?
>
> Yes, but I can't speak about other languages of course. And Chusslove
> already provided correct (IMHO) fix - let translators decide.

this doesn't address the issue with the default setting; if it's a problem,
i'd actually like to improve it. note the word "improve" rather than "revert
back to the previous situation which had its own unique issues".

i've wrapped the strings in i18n and the hint will help tip them off (and yes,
it should be there for good form anyways) but i'm guessing a lot of them will
keep it as is. so i've put a '-' in there by default.

> > > And even for English users the setting in the control center and its
> > > help still says that the format is "Name (Description)".
> >
> > this is a non-issue. the reason i didn't change the control center is
> > that we were in a message freeze at the time. saying the feature must
> > follow the documentary description in the option is backwards.
>
> This shouldn't be the excuse to introduce inconsistencies between app
> and settings/docs.

it wasn't an excuse, it was a reason. i just checked with the release dude and
the string freeze is softened again so i've fixed that too.

> You just introduced the bug to fix something which
> wasn't a bug, just ugly.

*sigh* whatever.

svn up in the 3.5 branch and have at it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se