List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    BoF meeting at aKademy
From:       Jens Herden <jens () khmeros ! info>
Date:       2006-09-30 9:50:45

Hi,

I want to share some insight from the BoF meeting of the translators at
aKademy. I will just write down what is still in my mind and what I have
written in my notes:

We have had people from South Korea, Cambodia, Italy, Germany and the Canary
Island attending. There were also two people with Chinese origin, currently
living in Dublin, who want to join the translation team for Chinese.

We had a long discussion about the translation of documentation. It is already
difficult to find people who can translate but having them to deal with
docbook seems to be an additional burden for some. There was the suggestion
to move to a wiki for documentation but there where also many arguments why
this would be not a good idea.
Basicly this is an open point for the future and there was no decision made.

During this discussion we learned that in some countries documentation is
written in the local language but not in English. That means we have
documentation which was never re-translated to English and therefore is
useless for the rest of the world.

There was a wish to be able to generate documentation of partly translated
documents. The idea was that a document where just one paragraph is still in
English is already usefull for the users.

Apparently KBabel is useless for Korean language, because it crashes all the
time.

The was a concern that KBabel does not have a maintainer.

There is a script in Perl to check PO files for common errors, which was
developed in Italy. This can be shared and improved for other languages on
request.

There was also a wish from the HCI working group to improve the cooperation
between the translators and the working group for issues that are important
for both sides. There was no immediate respond to this wish.

To sum up the meeting I would say it was nice to meet the people from all over
the world. All of us there have issues in the translation process but none of
the issues triggered immediate actions and no decisions where made.

I am aware that this mail can not reflect everything what happened during this
meeting and could be even wrong in some aspects. So I encourage you to add or
correct information.

Jens