List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: extragear/utils/filelight/src/part
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karloh () mi ! uib ! no>
Date:       2006-08-29 10:22:07

Stephan Kulow skreiv:

>> > +static const char PREFIX[4]    = { 'K', 'M', 'G', 'T' };
>>
>> Just wondering, shouldn't these units be i18n()ified? Like it is now, it
>> shouldn't be a big problem for the majority of the languages. But are
>> there languages out there which use other symbols for them?
>
> I would think this would be very confusing - these prefixes are an
> international standard.

No, they're not. 'K' is not a prefix in any international standard.
'k', on the other hand, is one of the SI units, and means 1000 (never 1024).
The prefix for 1024 is 'Ki', defined in IEC 60027-2. See
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
E-mail and Jabber: karl@huftis.org