List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: kinfocenter-patch for KDE-3.5 (Junior-Job)
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2006-08-27 21:37:26

Helge Deller napisaƂ(a):
> Thanks a lot for all your feedback. Bram Schoenmakers, Krzysztof
> Lichota, Lubos Lunak and Stephan Kulow answered.
>
> Since I wasn't CC'ed on all mails, I'll try to summarize here (which
> makes answering easier for me).
>
> Everyone was complaining about the amount of new strings. As
> suggested by Krzysztof Lichota we'll try to use more placeholders and
> as such try to reduce the amount of strings.

It was not mine, I think it was Bram's suggestion :)

> Krzysztof Lichota asked:
>> One more thing - as I understand this patch only adds some
>> information that was not there? So users will not get a drawback in
>> functionality?
> Answer: Correct. No drawbacks, you'll just see a cleaner tree-view on
> the PCI bus instead of a parsed "lspci" text-output.

Then the amount of i18n strings does not make difference, as currently
this is just not translated. So it should go in.

> But overall, I think Lubos' comment, that this new code should be in
> KDE4 first is the most important point. Due to the amount of new
> strings (which we'll try to reduce, but I think there will be many
> left nevertheless), I'll better work with the author on the
> integration into KDE4. This will take some time though, since I don't
> have a KDE4-setup myself yet....

I think it is reasonable. You should try it first in trunk and port it
to 3.5 in 3.5.6 timeframe.
I think it would also be useful to provide the strings to translate as
soon as possible (in trunk, maybe in kdereview module?), so that we can
start working on it, even before KDE4 version is ready. Of course, after
possible reductions in number of strings is done :)

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)