List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: kinfocenter-patch for KDE-3.5 (Junior-Job)
From:       Helge Deller <deller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-08-27 21:29:21

On Saturday 26 August 2006 13:57, Helge Deller wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm the maintainer of kinfocenter.
> As such, I marked in february the bug 88625 (JJ: KInfoCenter should improve PCI \
> view) as Junior-Job (http://dot.kde.org/1094109399/). Now, a new and talented KDE \
> developer (Hannibal <hannibal@megapolis.pl>) implemented this feature for KDE-3.5, \
> and I'm finally fine with his patch.
> But since there is a partially-lifted feature/string freeze in place, I would like \
> to ask here, if it's OK to apply his patch. Main reason why I ask is, because his \
> patch introduces around 400 new strings (although most of them are technical, e.g. \
> "500mA" which often don't need translation). You may view his patch here: \
> http://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=17508&action=view
> Comments ?
> Ok to commit ?
>
> Helge
>
> PS: Please CC me on mails. I'm currently not subscribed to the KDE lists...

Thanks a lot for all your feedback.
Bram Schoenmakers, Krzysztof Lichota, Lubos Lunak and Stephan Kulow answered.

Since I wasn't CC'ed on all mails, I'll try to summarize here (which makes answering \
easier for me).

Everyone was complaining about the amount of new strings.
As suggested by Krzysztof Lichota we'll try to use more placeholders and as such try \
to reduce the amount of strings. Lubos noticed, that we used i18n() partly wrong. \
We'll fix that, and switch to I18N_NOOP() where appropriate. Same for the usage of \
KDE_PACKED.

Krzysztof Lichota asked:
> One more thing - as I understand this patch only adds some information
> that was not there? So users will not get a drawback in functionality?
Answer:
Correct. No drawbacks, you'll just see a cleaner tree-view on the PCI bus instead of \
a parsed "lspci" text-output.

But overall, I think Lubos' comment, that this new code should be in KDE4 first is \
the most important point. Due to the amount of new strings (which we'll try to \
reduce, but I think there will be many left nevertheless), I'll better work with the \
author on the integration into KDE4. This will take some time though, since I don't \
have a KDE4-setup myself yet....

Thanks,
Helge