List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Typos in the en_GB files
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2006-08-24 13:40:54

On Thursday 24 August 2006 15:47, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 14:19, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > > Hello, I am developing a script to find common typos in message
> > > catalogs, and I have checked the en_GB message directory with it.
>
> Luciano, why not check all messages with aspell?

The Italian dictionaries are far from complete; I sometimes use the spelling
checker in kbabel, but it's quite labor intensive, since so many words need
manual checking, at least until I build a complete enough "private"
dictionary. But I'd like to add dictionary based spelling check to the
script. Any help would be welcome :)

Furthermore, there are checks aspell would not catch, like extra spaces
before/behind commas, or the consistent use of certain translations for
certain words.

> > Cool. Have you seen the existing tools on englishbreakfastnetwork.org
> > (EBN)? See, for example:
> > http://englishbreakfastnetwork.org/sanitizer/reports/kde-3.5/kdebase/kl
> >ippe r/index.html
>
> The sanitizer runs on the user documentation; if we have similar
> extracted text (and we do, somewhere under l10n I'm sure) for the user
> messages then we can do whatever checking we like (for instance, making
> sure that %-style placeholders match).

You can use the message template files. The templates/messages directory
contains all the program messages (with pointers to the relevant code
source/line).

Ciao,
Luciano

--