List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE && Rosetta.
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2006-08-09 17:20:18

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 17:57, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op woensdag 9 augustus 2006 17:50, schreef Jannick Kuhr:
> > Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 13:11 schrieb Tom Albers:
> > > I can not add this point to the wiki, as I think the Rosetta system will
> > > not know where the applications are coming from. For example KTU releases
> > > mainly on kde-apps. A packager grabs it from there and uses that version.
> > > They might not even know where the upstream develops.
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I understand your objection, but I think you are not right. It's possible
> > that I'm confusing some things, but at the moment all translations
> > belonging to KDE apps - even playground apps -  are collected in langpacks
> > called langpack-kde-xx. So Rosetta seems to know that these apps belong to
> > KDE. I hope it is possible to group this apps in Rosetta.

Mhmm, simplified, from deb pkg point of view:

	kubuntu release -> common-base + KDE apps
	ubuntu  release -> common-base + Gnome apps

and for the translation of these pkgs:

	common-base	-> language-pack-xx
	KDE apps[1]	-> language-pack-kde-xx
	Gnome apps	-> language-pack-gnome-xx

[1] most, but not all(!), kde apps are in svn.kde.org

The pot files used in rosetta are created during pkg build time.
This means that the base used by rosetta is always what the
released source tarball contains.  (It always never happens that
a pkg maintainer adds updated translations.)

So the only work for the pkg maintainer currently is to
create a pot file during build time of a pkg and register
the pkg in rosetta.

That's a pretty simple and generic interface to rosetta that
works with _all_ source tar balls, independently of where and
how translation are done upstream

> > And later on we should try to group this by modules. But this can wait a
> > moment ;-)

Teaching rosetta however where and how translations are
handled is pretty complicated IMHO.  Even only for stuff
in svn.kde.org one has to know which version of an app
matches trunk or stable and for which period of time.

I fully agree that the current situation needs lot
of improvements, but I don't share your(?) optimistic
POV that it's easy to achieve :(

Of course this should not stop both side to search
for a better solution, to get out of the mess.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com