List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <sharuzzaman () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2006-07-15 1:53:54

Tom Albers wrote:
> Op vrijdag 14 juli 2006 07:19, schreef Jannick Kuhr:
>
>>Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 01:51 schrieb Tom Albers:
>>
>>>I don't think adding a link will harm KDE more ( or less ) than an icon
>>>change of konquerors logo, changing the default homepage of konqueror or
>>>replacing the icon of the start menu with a SUSE or Red Hat icon.
>>
>>I think it is much more. By placing a link to the Lauchpad homepage with
>>the title "Translate this program" the Ubuntu guys pretend this is the
>>official option to translate the application. A new, unexperienced user
>>will never get the idea, that there might be an official translation team,
>>which provides translations for all distributions including Ubuntu. In the
>>first few month this won't harm us, but if other distributions start to do
>>the same, it will become dificult to find good translators for the official
>>teams.
>>
>>I would like to make one proposal:
>>
>>Place the link, but let it pop up an dialog, which explains the situation:
>>
>>"If you want to impropve the translation of %1 you have two possibilities.
>>You can get in contact with the official KDE translation team for your
>>language or you can start to improve Kubuntu's translation immediatly using
>>Lauchpad. If you do the latter, your translations will probably not reach
>>the users of other distributions and could be overwritten sometime by a
>>translation of the official KDE translation teams. However it is easy and
>>your translation will appear immediately in Kubuntu"
>>
>>Behind this text two buttons, this example for dutch ;-)
>>
>>"Dutch KDE Team"
>>"Lauchpad"
>>
>>This would be a soultion I could live with. Especially because it's clear
>>for the user what he/she is doing and that there are different
>>possibilities.
>>
>>Kind regards, Jannick
>

> This is a joke, right?
>
> Toma

I don't think this is a joke, Tom. In fact, I really like and support
this idea. It is fair for Ubuntu, and also for the official translation
team.

I would like to add these words:

"You are encouraged to join the official translation team, and
submitting the translation of this program there so that any translation
that you have made on Kubuntu can be used by other distro as well."

I don't see any harm adding a pop up dialog, explaining what really
happens in the translation process when they are using Rosetta.

--
-----
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan