List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: Out with %n in KDE4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-07-15 18:24:18

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> (If I remember well, it was a discussed once that having "1" as number
> for the singular text is not good in some language and that instead the
> word "one" must be translated.)

Which, I guess, is the reason for Gettext's bizarre behavior with plural
checks and c-format :)

> As for tweaking Gettext, well, that is something that we do not control.
> If you can move the Gettext developer to change the behaviour, fine, if
> not, then our problem would not be changed.

That I'll try to do.

However, this problem we are having regardless of what plural placeholder
we choose -- even if it would be %d, an extra %1 in the message would make
Gettext checks fail.

> Well, after all this, I am not sure what the best solution would be.
> [...]

I still think best solution is to get rid of any special placeholders, as
we have to wrestle with Gettext one way or the other.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team