List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Docbook entities for independent apps (Was: Re: Red Card for
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-07-15 9:00:56

On Monday 03 July 2006 20:07, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Harald Sitter napisaƂ(a):

> >> Exact errors, please. Just wild guess - undefined entities?
> >
> > All were undefined entities IIRC, although for pl I imported all entities
> > present in user.entities of 3.5 but not in 3.3 some time ago.
>
> OK, enough ranting, let's get constructive.
> I was aware of problem with entities after your first fix. The problem
> is that importing these entities must be done _manually_ after each
> regeneration of docs. I have done it once (see
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n/pl/docs/extragear-multimedia/amarok/index.
>docbook?view=log) but I forgot to do it again after proofreading (as Amarok
> is the only app I know which requires such action). So the problem could be
> fixed by applying the change again.
>
> But it is not the long-term solution. I have raised the problem of
> entities some time ago. It is really strange that for compiling docs it
> is necessary to have entities in _kdelibs_. It is especially a problem
> with languages which start translating documentation, like ours, as
> entities are not there in earlier versions of KDE. In KDE 3.3 there was
> no Polish documentation, no entities, no anything. And it cannot be
> added, as noone will update kdelibs packages just to add a few entities.

The problem remains the same. If nobody has time and knowledge to change the
system, it will not be changed.

And, at least as far as I know for KDE4 and even less for KDE3, nobody has
worked to improve the current documentation system (as Lauri Watts had
explained once that she would prefer such a solution) or to create a new
system (as I have told that I would prefer).

(...)

> In any case handling these entities must be somehow tied into
> documentation building toolchain. If such thing must be done manually,
> there will be always room for users errors (like mine).
>
> Regards
>
> 	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish translation coordinator)

Have a nice day!

PS.: to avoid any possible misunderstanding: I try only to explain what
happens or has happened, I am not trying to tell that this or that other
person is responsible for that situation.