List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: Out with %n in KDE4
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2006-07-04 7:16:58

On 04/07/2006, at 9:50 AM, Chusslove Illich wrote:

> Due to some rearrangements in i18n handling in KDE4, of which
> switch to
> standard Gettext format will be most observable to translators, the
> question is whether we really need %n plural placeholder any more.
>
> Throwing it out would mean direct support from Gettext's msgfmt, as
> then
> messages would be proper Qt strings, which Gettext knows as qt-format.
> This would also enable elimination of occasional problem with Gettext
> putting c-format for plural messages.
>
> If you are concerned with "spotting" plural messages, remember that
> they
> will no longer be of "_n: ..." form, but standard Gettext. In
> KBabel, such
> plural message will have one tab per each form in translation pane,
> making
> it impossible to miss.

Wonderful! :)

This will bring KDE into line with all the other translation
projects. The gettext plurals handling is really much easier to
manage, and the translation editors handle it automatically.
Providing you input your plurals header [1] in the PO header block,
your translation editor provides the correct number of plurals fields
for your language, for each plurals string.

Chusslove, will we be using gettext 0.15? Then we get the msgcontext
facility as well. :))

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l10n/pluralforms

["PGP.sig" (application/pgp-signature)]