List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Options (was: Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE)
From:       Javier SOLA <lists () khmeros ! info>
Date:       2006-06-03 11:12:52

Kevin Donnelly wrote:

>On Monday 29 May 2006 12:37, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>

>>Debian is currently setting this up with Pootle [1] (from the
>>Wordforge [2] project). We've looked into this situation very
>>carefully. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, with all
>>the plans to integrate the Wordforge tools into the Debian
>>infrastructure.
>>

>This is an interesting development.  If they can get the liaison with KDE-svn
>sorted out, then this would appear to be a large step in the right direction.

Hi

Part of our goals in WordForge is to ensure this liaisson with KDE. We
are already working on the generic SVN interface. We would have to look
at things that are specific to KDE.

Are KDE PO files different or more specific than standard PO files?

Internally Pootle will work with XLIFF files (new XML localisation
standard file format), but it will interact with PO files in the project
svn, and it will allow the translator to download either XLIFF files or
PO files (which will be created under demand). We would need to make
sure that all this is transparent to KDE.

Pootle will manage rights and localisation process. It will be possible
to give to team leaders, reviewers and translators diferent rights,
depending on how the localisation team organises itself, and then the
teams will be able to follow different localisation workflows, from
simple translation->commit to very comlicated process that require
several reviews. XLIFF files allow including information about the state
of the process in the files, and Pootle will manage this information to
facilitate the workflow, ensuring that the defined steps are taken
before a file is committed.

As SVN is concerned, Pootle will always merge the information it has to
the file in SVN, it will never replace it, as the file in SVN might have
been updated since the file that is being sent back from Pootle was
taken from this same SVN. The merged file will be committed and fed back
into Pootle (with new messages if there are any).

Process will take place when files are uploaded to Pootle by
translators, the translation is merged into the file that is currently
in Pootle.

Our roadmap is in www.wordforge.org. As you will see, we have taken the
KDE website as our example on how to present the state of translation of
each file.

Have a nice day !

Javier