List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Eloy Cuadra <ecuadra () eloihr ! net>
Date:       2006-05-28 10:11:13

On Sunday, 28 de May de 2006 09:19, Pablo de Vicente wrote:
> After reading the posts of this thread I have exported one of this PO files
> translated by somebody using the web interface and "kompared" it with our
> official latest version. I should clarify that the file was 100% translated
> to spanish. The changes in Rosetta have just spoiled the translation. In
> Spanish we do not capitalize all words of a sentence, like in English; we
> only capitalize the first word. See an example for this PO file:
>
> POT file: New Feeds Feed
> KDE stable: Nuevo origen de noticias
> Rosetta: Nuevo Origen de Noticias.

For me this situation is inadmissible. Sincerely, if this keeps going further,
as a Spanish user, I would prefer to use KDE directly in English... And as a
member of the Spanish translation team, I feel angry seeing my work spoiled
(and very puzzled considering my belonging to that team, too).

I don't think Rosetta is better for KDE localization than the current l10n
teams' methods are. Maybe it's good enough to maintain localized only Ubuntu
stuff (not KDE, GNOME, etc.).

Even more, Rosetta is not open source. What's the point in encouraging people
to use it?
--
Eloy Cuadra