List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jriddell () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2006-05-27 18:27:52

Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> The first is whether or not this gives an individual distro too much
> leverage.  I'm not sure that web interfaces have been quite as
> successful as I might have hoped three years ago, but is it a good
> idea to have "the" KDE one farmed out to a specific distro?

I don't recomment Rosetta becomes an official KDE translation method,
as Cornelius pointed out it's not Free Software for a start.  But some
translators and teams may find it the best way to lower the barrier of
entry.

> In fact, what is the relationship between the web material and the
> KDE-svn material?  The latter has to be the gold standard, for the
> simple reason that it is available for ALL distros to use.  If so, it
> implies that the Rosetta stuff needs to be synced with KDE-svn.

Currently it includes the translations from the latest KDE i18n
release that I upload, 3.5.2 in this case.  There is a plan to sync
from KDE SVN at some point in the future.

> For instance, if the GNOME team has decided on a particular term for
> something, and the KDE team has standardised on another one, does this
> mean that that term will be changed in the KDE translations without
> input from the KDE team?

If a the same term is already translated elsewhere in Rosetta it will
offer that as a suggestion.  Whether or not a paticular Ubuntu
translation team will change all the KDE terms to use the Gnome terms
is up to the team but in general that would seem like a very bad idea.

> For instance, if I click the tuxpaint file, I am told that I am "not
> an official translator for this file", even though I did the
> translation.

You need to be a member of the relevant ubuntu translation team (which
should be marked on the same page).

> This presumably means that I would be "reporting to" whoever the
> Ubuntu language coordinator is, since they are the ones granting the
> status.  Seems a bit odd.

That would be the case, but as with software development I'd expect
the distriution team to respect the experience of the upstream team.

> On a practical issue, I think giving a huge list of files, with no
> indication of where they belong, is a major useability no-no.

The Rosetta developers have started sorting the files by importance.

> I also note that KOffice files are not listed yet (although
> OpenOffice.org files are) - is it intended to import them too?

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/koffice/+translations

Jonathan