Kevin Donnelly wrote: > The first is whether or not this gives an individual distro too much > leverage. I'm not sure that web interfaces have been quite as > successful as I might have hoped three years ago, but is it a good > idea to have "the" KDE one farmed out to a specific distro? I don't recomment Rosetta becomes an official KDE translation method, as Cornelius pointed out it's not Free Software for a start. But some translators and teams may find it the best way to lower the barrier of entry. > In fact, what is the relationship between the web material and the > KDE-svn material? The latter has to be the gold standard, for the > simple reason that it is available for ALL distros to use. If so, it > implies that the Rosetta stuff needs to be synced with KDE-svn. Currently it includes the translations from the latest KDE i18n release that I upload, 3.5.2 in this case. There is a plan to sync from KDE SVN at some point in the future. > For instance, if the GNOME team has decided on a particular term for > something, and the KDE team has standardised on another one, does this > mean that that term will be changed in the KDE translations without > input from the KDE team? If a the same term is already translated elsewhere in Rosetta it will offer that as a suggestion. Whether or not a paticular Ubuntu translation team will change all the KDE terms to use the Gnome terms is up to the team but in general that would seem like a very bad idea. > For instance, if I click the tuxpaint file, I am told that I am "not > an official translator for this file", even though I did the > translation. You need to be a member of the relevant ubuntu translation team (which should be marked on the same page). > This presumably means that I would be "reporting to" whoever the > Ubuntu language coordinator is, since they are the ones granting the > status. Seems a bit odd. That would be the case, but as with software development I'd expect the distriution team to respect the experience of the upstream team. > On a practical issue, I think giving a huge list of files, with no > indication of where they belong, is a major useability no-no. The Rosetta developers have started sorting the files by importance. > I also note that KOffice files are not listed yet (although > OpenOffice.org files are) - is it intended to import them too? https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/koffice/+translations Jonathan