List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: The problem of "May"
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-05-09 11:53:03

> [: Tuomas Nurmi :]
> Does it follow from this that the abbreviations of the months cannot be
> defined in the same .po -file as the months, or is the problem even more
> profound, saying that homonymic msgids cannot exist in the same
> application?

Indeed, homonymic msgids cannot exist by themselves, as they form the
search key for the catalog lookup at runtime. That is why we have
contexts, which make part of the search key, and thus can be used to
disambiguate otherwise same msgids:

msgid "May"
msgstr "maj"

msgid ""
"_: Month name abbreviation\n"
"May"
msgstr "maj"

or, starting from KDE 4:

msgid "May"
msgstr "maj"

msgctxt "Month name abbreviation"
msgid "May"
msgstr "maj"

These context have to be added in the source code itself, by the
programmer. Translators should point programmers to do so when needed,
hence the advice to file a bug report.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team