List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: To kde.pot or not to kde.pot
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-04-13 14:11:32

On Thursday 13 April 2006 15:35, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Thursday 13 April 2006 11:48, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I say no. I even think that more strings must be on that file. One thing
> > I am thinking of, is country names and month names. I have translated
> > them in 2 different places, and I can easily see this happening even more
> > times.
>
> I think that it is not the right place for that.
>
> Month names are in kdelibs.po, as for country names, it is to be seen where
> they will be put in KDE4, but that too will be a public PO file.

To be clearer: this will need code to call those strings (even if probably for
later than KDE4). But that way it would be clearer than using kde.pot and if
an application really need to duplicate a string it could be done easily
without kde.pot.

Also do not forget that we are heading toward stripted translations. Using
kde.pot in that case would mean that all script for such a translation
(e.g. "Open") would need to be in kdelibs.po for the whole of KDE4.

Have a nice day!