List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-01-05 16:24:13

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 14:21, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> Onsdag 04 januar 2006 07:33 skrev Lauri Watts:
> > Just to be really clear: We should work on all documentation only in
> > trunk for the near to mid-term future (with the obvious exception of
> > extragear apps with their branches, and possibly koffice and kdevelop.)
>
> I think a good work flow would be the following
> 1. stable is almost always frozen for docs and for gui

> 2. trunk is never frozen, for docs or for gui.

I do not think that "never" is possible. At most it can be reduced to a
minimum but I do not think that it can be always avoided.

The next point when trunk will need to be forzen will be the point when we
would need to create a unstable l10n for KDE3 (especially for playgrounds and
extragears), while freeing trunk/l10n for KDE4.

> 3. stable is unfrozen for a week every so often, like some distance before
> every major release, and for a week after every minor release. It should be
> immediately after the release maximizing the time we have to catch up. This
> should be true both for doc and gui, but for gui it should be a mild thaw
> rather than completely unfrozen at the minor releases.

This would mean that smaller translation teams would never catch up, as there
will always be new stuff to translate. However perhaps it is a drawback that
we have to accept.

> This way the documentation writers get a chance to get their work into a
> release without waiting for ever, and after having had time, and a place,
> to check their work. We would always have newer versions in trunk than in
> stable as it should be.
>
> Doing it this way does not require much scripting. Whenever doc files have
> been backported you backport your translation po-files.
>
> So the basic idea both for gui and for docs would be that you freeze the
> moment you move stuff back to stable. This is essentially what we did this
> time for gui at the 3.5 release, and it worked well.
>
> Translators have the opportunity to do some translating in trunk all the
> time so they can catch up in stable just by moving po-files back after the
> unfreezes.
>

> The documentation writers do not have to tell anybody whether they are
> working on the next major or the next minor version. If it is the next
> major version they just do not move it back into stable until it is almost
> time for the next major release.

I fear that this is not going to work. In the two "unfreeze" weeks, nobody has
ported to KDE 3.5.x the up-to-date documentation that was in trunk.

> The principle should hold for extragear as well. At the point you normally
> freeze, you move your stuff back to stable.
>
> As I have said before, the drawback is that you can not develop
> documentation for 3.5.1 and 4.0 at the same time in SVN, but how many do
> that anyway.
>
> We would also avoid the present mixture of back- and forward porting.
>
> Erik

Have a nice day!