List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-04 12:33:51

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 15:45, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 10:56, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > > I still think developing docbooks slowly without freezes in trunk where
> > > there is time to test things, and then move back to stable in an
> > > organized fashion would be a lot better than this way.
> >
> > I haven't heard any objection to this plan, or to Nicolas' forward ports,
> > so can I take it that this is agreed by everyone? If so, I'll announce it
> > on kde-doc-english and kde-core-devel, and the docs team will start
> > working in trunk/.
>
> Well, what was agreed mainly between Lauri Watts and me in this thread was
> that the documentation should be developed in KDE trunk modules.
>
> Nothing more was agreed, especially that neither Lauri Watts nor Stephan
> Kulow have agreed publically, as far as I know.

I agree, every time it comes up, that we should work in trunk.  Here's me
agreeing again.  I also agree with Phil that we should say so on the lists so
that everyone knows just how much we're in agreement :)

Just to be really clear: We should work on all documentation only in trunk for
the near to mid-term future (with the obvious exception of extragear apps
with their branches, and possibly koffice and kdevelop.)

Furthermore: That means we should continue to improve the documentation for
the 3.5 releases there, and l10n teams may backport as they wish [1].  At
some point [2] we should reevaluate, and decide if the focus of the trunk
documentation should be switched to KDE 4, but when that time comes l10n can
simply stop backporting documentation that is being written for 4.x[3]

[1] This may be a good time for Erik to post his workflow and scripts again
(or point us at them on the archives, I can't seem to come up with them).  I
know he has this method of working down to quite a fine art.
[2] I expect in the late spring would be an opportune time to see how things
are going.  If momentum has dropped off and we no longer have people
interested in working on 3.5 docs, then we simply switch then.
[3] When we switch to focusing on 3.4, the docs will get a DTD change, which
will make it very easy to distinguish which are which (either
programattically or by just looking at them.)

Yours, agreeably,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org