List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-12-08 0:02:28

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 23:03, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 22:04, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > I think this is an overly complex way to solve a problem we don't
> > > actually have (to wit, people writing docs for 4.x already).    By the
> > > time people are ready to work on 4.x docs, we can simply declare
> > > moratorium on updates for 3.5, and grandfather them out of trunk.
> >
> > I have just wanted to propose a clean way of doing, in the spirit of
> > Subversion.
> >
> > Whatever you choose this way or to commit in KDE4's source, you will not
> > get any translations in the current state. (Scripty does not merge in
> > trunk/l10n for the main KDE modules).
>
> Heh, I guess we had a communication breakdown, but I thought that was the
> entire point :)
>
> We can do this without disturbing l10n, and still making it quite simple
> for those teams that do wish to backport (just as there have always been
> some teams that are backporting.)
>
> Scripty would also not merge another branch, but I'd have to keep three
> checked out, merged, we'd still have to modify scripty and the template
> generation, so it's not going to save anything there.
>

> If in a few months time, when momentum has really moved to 4.x, it's stable
> enough people can run it (you can't document something you can't run).  We
> can take a look every month or so, and see how things are shaping up, we
> can mark specific documents that shouldn't be backported (for a start
> there's a DTD version change coming up, it'll be very simple to determine
> which are 4.x targeted and which are 3.x targeted once that happens.)

Good, so this decision more or less fixes another open question:
- trunk/l10n will remain for KDE3 and not be for KDE4 in the few next months
(in that case probably until KOffice moves its translation to
branches/stable/l10n)
- l10n development for KDE4 will have to be done elsewhere, so probably in
branches/work/kde4-l10n
(I had not planned that branch for that, just lucky that they had thought to
create a sub-directory scripts there).

> Look at it this way.  If there *was* a 3.6, we'd *still* be putting all
> these updates into trunk, and there'd still be a ton of applications
> getting gui changes (more or less cosmetic) leading to occasional
> mismatches between docs and GUI.

Yes, it is not always easy to see what should be done like a KDE 3.6 and what
should not.

> The absolute worst case here is some of the docs may have to say:  "BTW,
> this feature maybe isn't implemented in the version you have, but it's in
> the next version coming up" rather than apps being released with features
> that users don't understand and can't use, because they aren't explained
> anywhere.

So we would have advertisements for KDE4 in KDE 3.5.x's documentation. :-)

> Regards,

Have a nice day!