List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Versioned documentations (was: Re: [RFC] short message "unfreeze"
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-12-01 20:38:45

On Thursday 01 December 2005 20:55, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 20:13, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > (As for documentation, due to KDE's all-or-nothing policy, it is more
> > difficult to do something, so they are not part of this "unfreeze"
> > discussion.)
>
> Actually - _especially_ due to KDE's all-or-nothing policy it should be
> possible to not freeze the docs at all. Translators just need to checkout
> revision X, translate the PO files in it, run update_xml - commit and are
> done - even if the PO files changed in between: they have updated XML
> files then even if they need to merge their translations with the new
> files in SVN. But that again is done very easy as the one in SVN do not
> have any value - they can simply be overwritten.

One problem that I see is that, currently, Scripty nearly forces to update the
l10n local working copy, as PO files will always be merged.

The second problem that I see is that all documents might not be at the same
revision, as different translators might not have the same time to fix the
newest documents. (I mean for teams having more than one person working on
documentations.)

Naturally SVN would propose to work with svn:external files, but if we do
that, the l10n modules are going to explode.

(And I do not see how we could work with seperate working modules for
translations, making l10n modules that would only be externals. (It is not
even the Script support that worries me in this case.))

So somehow we have to refine the idea, which basically I find good.

> Greetings, Stephan

Have a nice day!