List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Michal Rudolf <mrudolf () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-08-04 15:15:10

Nicolas Goutte,  czwartek, 4 sierpnia 2005 16:51:

>> You are having a little too much expectation of the Gettext :) Consider
>> that even the plural handling is not without dispute, as the KDE still
>> doesn't use the default Gettext's way of handling plurals. Also, current
>> plural handling (Gettext's or KDE's, whichever) will not allow you to have
>> more than one plural argument per message.
>Sorry, what do you mean by "more than one plural argument per message"?
"%1 bytes in %2 files"

>> Second, from the point of view of translator who does not need to use such
>> scripting system, nothing changes at all. And for those who do need to use
>> it but are unsure exactly how, there is this list to talk it over :)
>That is what I do not understand. If you have a scripting language instead
> of having a simple translation then even the British English team would
> have changes.
I assume that using script languages was suggested for some special (f. e.
highly inflective) languages only. But I don't think it is a good idea.

Of course, multiplying messages is not a good solution either.

I think the best we can do is to avoid such construction if it is possible,
and if it is not, trying to formulate the sentence and arguments in a way
that will cause as little problems as possible.

I think we may need some way to query various translators about their
languages. Some problematic sentences will be posted on some page and will be
"accepted" or "rejected" by native-speakers of some KDE languages as
possible/impossible to translate into their language.
Otherwise it is hard for programmer to decide what is and what isn't
acceptable. Of course, one can use this list for that purpose, but checking
answers here requires more effort.

--
Michal Rudolf