List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2005-08-03 7:35:59

On 03/08/2005, at 4:00 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Ok, as i've gathered from nobody updating their translations for
> kgeography
> and from a few people already commenting me either on the list or
> via a
> private mail that the .po size is too big.
>
> As the only languages i speak don't have gender for countries,
> cities, etc i
> can not try to find solutions for the gender problem as i can not
> "reproduce"
> that problem.

Albert, I suggest you ask about this on the Translation Project list
(or gnome-i18n), if none of the gettext people answer here.
Undoubtedly gettext should be able to handle this, and if it can't,
they can work towards it, and help you out with a workaround for now.
This is not a new problem, so I'm sure there will be a solution for
now, and a better one in the future.

This is much like the plurals issue: gettext handles plurals very
well now, with a setting for each language. There may well be a way
for translators of different languages to indicate their gender use,
to include variations, and eventually, to have a way for gettext to
pick up on this automatically.

I'm CCing this to the TP list, translation-
i18n@lists.sourceforge.net, where there is a lot of expertise in this
area. I'm sure you will get some help there.

It would certainly reduce the size of your .po file if you could use
variables, or, as someone suggested here, a table, for the huge lists
of countries, capitals etc.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)