List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: More about the piedmontese language
From:       <albertoserra () ukr ! net>
Date:       2005-05-28 11:07:43

Hi Rico!

> I for one am quite sure no one speaks _only_ Piedmontese dialect, and people
> speaking it natively (i.e. better than Italian) are probably never to come
> anywhere near a computer. I am a Piedmontese of Arona, "the pearl of
> Verbano" (line sponsored by our local tourist board ;-), and know a few
> things of the area. In any case we refer to it as "dialect".

Yes, I was born not faraway from your place (Biella), although my family is from the \
center (Monfra) so I know the local situation. Still, it's a "local" thing. What I \
can tell you is that we refer to our mother language as a “language”, and use it as \
such. Besides, the Ukrainian language used to be defined as a “dialect” by Polish and \
Russian governments. After getting close to extinction is now spoken by some 40% of \
the Ukrainian population. There is no such thing as a “dialect”, unless you talk \
about a different usage of the very same language, on the condition that dialects \
remain understandable to each other. Otherwise you are going to call “dialects” all \
the romance languages, just because they have common roots for both grammar and \
dictionary. But even in that case you are going to have a hard time in finding out a \
way to normalize those “verbal pronouns” used by us Piedmontese speakers into a \
common European “dialect”. It takes but one look at our grammar, and it immediately \
becomes clear that the word "dialect" is totally out of place.

> Usage of dialect is
> considered all but xenophobic, and its "revival" by political movements whose
> leaders have suggested to shoot or shell African immigrants has not improved
> its status. Even these politicians, however, hold their speeches in Italian,
> not dialect (with some rare exceptions).

My judgment about politics and politicians is even more radical than yours. I simply \
wish they started to find a way to make a living without hiding behind my linguistic \
identity. Besides, in my 45 years of life I never voted for the right wings. That’s \
just to make it clear. Still I know that the argument is often considered taboo, in a \
sort of reverse racism. I can speak Neapolitan (and I like to do it, although I have \
a pretty poor accent) or Arabic and be considered witty, but if I use the language in \
which my thoughts are formed I am a racist. Sorry, I’m fed up with it, and so are \
many of us, no matter what their political views. It’s just a matter of civil rights, \
not a matter of being better or worse than anybody else. :(

> if anyone knows where "Zenitk" could be a
> normal surname, that would really solve a mistery ;-)

The final TK seems to be the result of some old transcription to Latin chars. The Z \
is likely to be a harsh S (as in the Italian “rosa”, I assume you cannot read \
Piedmontese, so I will avoid using it for examples) more than a Z, as it would be in \
Italian. Besides, if your family came in the area at the time when Piedmontese was \
used as a State language (until the French revolution, along with all the other local \
languages, Latin, Italian and French), than it should have been possible to use the \
char Z, which in our alphabet gets used to represent an initial harsh S.

What you get is Zenit, or *Zenik*, the latter being a fairly common surname…here in \
Ukraine.  Not that surprising, though, as Western Ukraine was a part of Austria, and \
Austria had its other border not too far from Arona. So the chance for an ethnically \
Ukraine Austrian soldier to remain in Arona was pretty high, especially right after \
Bonaparte’s fall, when we restored the Piedmontese state but were under Austrain \
military occupation for a while. I am not aware of a way to express such an initial \
sound using the Italian alphabet, so I guess you have no chance for you to restore \
your surname to its original sound, but you could take the final TH away, as the \
original sound most probably was that of a plain K.

It’s going to be extremely difficult for you to locate your roots in here, as most of \
the archives have been lost during the period of wars and revolutions. Possibly the \
best chance would be to trace back your family tree until the first appearance of the \
surname in your area (which should be possible for free, just by using church \
registers), then try and locate the Austrian military registers of that period, which \
should still exist. At that point, you would know where to start from here, in the \
East. If you do not expect immediate results and just spend a week a year in your \
chase, then you are likely to find out a lot, in some 20 years or so. Looking for \
roots is an interesting sport, just do not be in a hurry, because it’s a *slow* \
thing. :)

> In any case, you can request your name to be changed if there is a reason for
> it. Not sure about the procedure though, but there's a lot of bureaucracy
> involved.

Come on, you perfectly know that the Italians authorities would define my request as \
“antinational” (no, they would say I am a racist LOL). The refusal is either going to \
come from fascists or communists, but, to quote Led Zep "the song remains the same". \
:))) Besides, I do not see why to give them tons of my hard-earned money, just to be \
finally refused. I’d rather change passport and have the matter settled for free. ;)

> This was largely a stunt by the previous regional government.
If you talk about schools, then I have poor visibility on the local matters. If you \
talk about literature, grammars and vocabularies, then you are wrong, but probably \
this would lead us totally off topic. I am ready to provide you with lists of \
books/libraries on a private exchange basis, though. Besides, the funny thing about \
all this, is that an Ukrainian of Piedmontese origin talks about such things with a \
Piedmontese of probable Ukrainian origin. Isn’t the world a mad place? LOL

> Most people will consider it outright ludicrous.

It’s a big mistake. :( Racism came out because people were not given the chance to \
speak their language.If the southern guys had been properly taught in schools to \
speak local languages (including their own) Italy would have not become a place where \
people despise each other that much. And by learning proper grammars, people would \
have understood why using a construction is speaking a language, while another \
construction is proper to another language. Yet I know that it’s impossible to speak \
about such things in Italy, because every scientific data immediately becomes a case \
for political hysteria (from both sides). Besides, teaching piedmontese would also \
mean teaching history, and explaining to the locals how many of the words they use \
are actually… Arabic. Things and languages are neutral, it is people using them to \
kill each other.

> Furthermore, there is far from a single dialect covering the whole region: in
> Arona, we speak a sort of varesotto/milanese/ossolano pidgin, in the Gran
> Paradiso area I have heard French constructs built on Italian words ("il fa
> d'andar..."),
The Piedmontese language does include a number of dialects, the grammars usually \
account for it. Thank God, being free from the need to use our language for political \
reasons also means we can respect local varieties, by giving them all the same \
dignity. The number of local languages in Piedmont accounts to 5, AFAIK.

-PIEMONTEIS (with all its dialects)

-OCITAN (at least in 3 varieties, including the Nissard, which is spoken in the parts \
of Piedmont that now belong to France)

-ARPITAN (mostly in the Gran Paradis area, in Savoy and closer the Aosta Valley)

-WALSER (in your area and on the Swiss side of the Alps)

-RAKARASSA ROMANES (the language of the piedmontese Sinti, the gypsies)

There might have been a local Jewish language, but we never succeeded in finding real \
written evidences of it. One of the worst deeds of the past govt was into completely \
forgetting about the Sinti, by reducing the number of "local" languages to 4. Now \
this is *very* stupid, and ungrateful, too. The most uncorrupted spoken version of \
our own Piedmontese language was saved by these very people, the Sinti, to whom we \
owe the chance to restore the language after 150 of decay. Once again, the best thing \
local politicians of both sides can do, is to keep their big mouths shut, because any \
time they speak, they say idiotic things. Language matters should be addressed by \
competent people, not by guys who only advertise themselves.

The history of Piedmont is the history of a multiethnic state, which succeeded in \
respecting all of its member cultures until we got imperialists and began to “make \
Italy” (by slaughtering some 10 to 20% of the civil unarmed population of Southern \
Italy, in the name of Progress). Southern officers were deliberately killed by \
starvation in thousands, at Fort Fenestrelle, and their corpses were chemically \
dissolved, not to waste space and time for the burials, while not even a list of the \
names was kept. I am teaching my kids how bad a Piedmontese may be, along with the \
pride for their native culture. I tend to consider that more sincerity about these \
“forgotten” matters would only help in building a peaceful society.

> Not that I don't believe you, but who in the world does business in
> Piedmontese? I'm genuinely curious.

LOL If you lived in a country where every phone is listened to, you would LOVE to \
speak a rare language. Besides, emails get read in the West no less than they are \
read here. So we like to make business among Piedmontese speakers across the planet \
not because we are racists, but because we can have a wonderful privacy level, even \
without learning to use PGP. It’s many of us on the planet, and we are often quite \
annoyed by the fact that "italian Piedmontese" people tend to consider that they have \
a monopoly on decision regarding our common culture. I guess this is a problem common \
to all diasporas, reading some Jewish literature on the subject can be quite \
enlighting. :)))

On the practical linguistic side, you will find a piedmontese mailing list at \
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piemontviv/ and a magazine at  www.e-opinion.info Take \
a look at them, before thinking that everyone speaking Piedmontese is a monster. And \
before thinking that we all live in Italy and that we all manage cows for a living \
(not that I would not like it, it's just the economic side of it that worries me). \
:))))))))

> I did work out a "universal" (well, at least for Latin characters) keyboard
> some time ago, and still type with it. See:
> http://zenith.nt.ntnu.no/linuxkla
> there is a not-so-cluttered Italian version (that should include dialects and
> minority languages):
> http://zenith.nt.ntnu.no/NTI
> in any case, look at the .Xmodmap file if you want to create yours. Unicode is
> your friend.

Thanks, I will. I am tired of using the & trick to produce an HTML file I can copy as \
normal text.

> I don't think there is a large target of users for a Piedmontese l10n;

That’s something I can hardly deny. Most users are and will remain on Windows.

> - I would prefer to avoid splitting the translation

> efforts…. We agreed it's better to focus on

> something everybody in Italy can use.
It makes sense to me. If us, the Piedmontese speakers, want to have such a \
translation, we are supposed to make it ourselves. All I ask for is the technical \
chance to do it, by adding files during the compilation process.

> - Usage of dialect is currently heavily loaded
> with political meaning.
Once again, why should this affect us foreign residents? We can sympathize with you, \
but don't throw your trouble on us, please.

> This is all a voluntary project; if you think you
> can support such an effort, by all means go on.
It’s not going to be me, personally. I am already working on the free courses of \
Piedmontese language for Slavic immigrants, I write for the Piedmontese community and \
I also have to make some money to feed my family. But we shall find someone who has \
the time for this.

> Translating KDE is a HUGE load of work,

> and it takes quite a team to do it.
Yes, I am aware of that. Still, it’s not going to be as bad as it would be if we were \
expected to translate Windows, right?

Salut-me nostre Alp, che mi i j'hai sempe ant el cheur ;)

Cereja
Berto