List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: More about the piedmontese language
From:       <albertoserra () ukr ! net>
Date:       2005-05-28 11:07:43

Hi Rico!

> I for one am quite sure no one speaks _only_ Piedmontese dialect, and \
> people  speaking it natively (i.e. better than Italian) are probably \
> never to come  anywhere near a computer. I am a Piedmontese of Arona, \
> "the pearl of  Verbano" (line sponsored by our local tourist board ;-), \
> and know a few  things of the area. In any case we refer to it as \
> "dialect".

Yes, I was born not faraway from your place (Biella), although my family is \
from the center (Monfra) so I know the local situation. Still, it's a \
"local" thing. What I can tell you is that we refer to our mother language \
as a “language”, and use it as such. Besides, the Ukrainian language used \
to be defined as a “dialect” by Polish and Russian governments. After \
getting close to extinction is now spoken by some 40% of the Ukrainian \
population. There is no such thing as a “dialect”, unless you talk about a \
different usage of the very same language, on the condition that dialects \
remain understandable to each other. Otherwise you are going to call \
“dialects” all the romance languages, just because they have common roots \
for both grammar and dictionary. But even in that case you are going to \
have a hard time in finding out a way to normalize those “verbal pronouns” \
used by us Piedmontese speakers into a common European “dialect”. It takes \
but one look at our grammar, and it immediately becomes clear that the word \
"dialect" is totally out of place.

> Usage of dialect is
> considered all but xenophobic, and its "revival" by political movements \
> whose  leaders have suggested to shoot or shell African immigrants has \
> not improved  its status. Even these politicians, however, hold their \
> speeches in Italian,  not dialect (with some rare exceptions).

My judgment about politics and politicians is even more radical than yours. \
I simply wish they started to find a way to make a living without hiding \
behind my linguistic identity. Besides, in my 45 years of life I never \
voted for the right wings. That’s just to make it clear. Still I know that \
the argument is often considered taboo, in a sort of reverse racism. I can \
speak Neapolitan (and I like to do it, although I have a pretty poor \
accent) or Arabic and be considered witty, but if I use the language in \
which my thoughts are formed I am a racist. Sorry, I’m fed up with it, and \
so are many of us, no matter what their political views. It’s just a matter \
of civil rights, not a matter of being better or worse than anybody else. \
:(

> if anyone knows where "Zenitk" could be a
> normal surname, that would really solve a mistery ;-)

The final TK seems to be the result of some old transcription to Latin \
chars. The Z is likely to be a harsh S (as in the Italian “rosa”, I assume \
you cannot read Piedmontese, so I will avoid using it for examples) more \
than a Z, as it would be in Italian. Besides, if your family came in the \
area at the time when Piedmontese was used as a State language (until the \
French revolution, along with all the other local languages, Latin, Italian \
and French), than it should have been possible to use the char Z, which in \
our alphabet gets used to represent an initial harsh S.

What you get is Zenit, or *Zenik*, the latter being a fairly common \
surname…here in Ukraine.  Not that surprising, though, as Western Ukraine \
was a part of Austria, and Austria had its other border not too far from \
Arona. So the chance for an ethnically Ukraine Austrian soldier to remain \
in Arona was pretty high, especially right after Bonaparte’s fall, when we \
restored the Piedmontese state but were under Austrain military occupation \
for a while. I am not aware of a way to express such an initial sound using \
the Italian alphabet, so I guess you have no chance for you to restore your \
surname to its original sound, but you could take the final TH away, as the \
original sound most probably was that of a plain K.

It’s going to be extremely difficult for you to locate your roots in here, \
as most of the archives have been lost during the period of wars and \
revolutions. Possibly the best chance would be to trace back your family \
tree until the first appearance of the surname in your area (which should \
be possible for free, just by using church registers), then try and locate \
the Austrian military registers of that period, which should still exist. \
At that point, you would know where to start from here, in the East. If you \
do not expect immediate results and just spend a week a year in your chase, \
then you are likely to find out a lot, in some 20 years or so. Looking for \
roots is an interesting sport, just do not be in a hurry, because it’s a \
*slow* thing. :)

> In any case, you can request your name to be changed if there is a reason \
> for  it. Not sure about the procedure though, but there's a lot of \
> bureaucracy  involved.

Come on, you perfectly know that the Italians authorities would define my \
request as “antinational” (no, they would say I am a racist LOL). The \
refusal is either going to come from fascists or communists, but, to quote \
Led Zep "the song remains the same". :))) Besides, I do not see why to give \
them tons of my hard-earned money, just to be finally refused. I’d rather \
change passport and have the matter settled for free. ;)

> This was largely a stunt by the previous regional government.
If you talk about schools, then I have poor visibility on the local \
matters. If you talk about literature, grammars and vocabularies, then you \
are wrong, but probably this would lead us totally off topic. I am ready to \
provide you with lists of books/libraries on a private exchange basis, \
though. Besides, the funny thing about all this, is that an Ukrainian of \
Piedmontese origin talks about such things with a Piedmontese of probable \
Ukrainian origin. Isn’t the world a mad place? LOL

> Most people will consider it outright ludicrous.

It’s a big mistake. :( Racism came out because people were not given the \
chance to speak their language.If the southern guys had been properly \
taught in schools to speak local languages (including their own) Italy \
would have not become a place where people despise each other that much. \
And by learning proper grammars, people would have understood why using a \
construction is speaking a language, while another construction is proper \
to another language. Yet I know that it’s impossible to speak about such \
things in Italy, because every scientific data immediately becomes a case \
for political hysteria (from both sides). Besides, teaching piedmontese \
would also mean teaching history, and explaining to the locals how many of \
the words they use are actually… Arabic. Things and languages are neutral, \
it is people using them to kill each other.

> Furthermore, there is far from a single dialect covering the whole \
> region: in  Arona, we speak a sort of varesotto/milanese/ossolano pidgin, \
> in the Gran  Paradiso area I have heard French constructs built on \
> Italian words ("il fa  d'andar..."),
The Piedmontese language does include a number of dialects, the grammars \
usually account for it. Thank God, being free from the need to use our \
language for political reasons also means we can respect local varieties, \
by giving them all the same dignity. The number of local languages in \
Piedmont accounts to 5, AFAIK.

-PIEMONTEIS (with all its dialects)

-OCITAN (at least in 3 varieties, including the Nissard, which is spoken in \
the parts of Piedmont that now belong to France)

-ARPITAN (mostly in the Gran Paradis area, in Savoy and closer the Aosta \
Valley)

-WALSER (in your area and on the Swiss side of the Alps)

-RAKARASSA ROMANES (the language of the piedmontese Sinti, the gypsies)

There might have been a local Jewish language, but we never succeeded in \
finding real written evidences of it. One of the worst deeds of the past \
govt was into completely forgetting about the Sinti, by reducing the number \
of "local" languages to 4. Now this is *very* stupid, and ungrateful, too. \
The most uncorrupted spoken version of our own Piedmontese language was \
saved by these very people, the Sinti, to whom we owe the chance to restore \
the language after 150 of decay. Once again, the best thing local \
politicians of both sides can do, is to keep their big mouths shut, because \
any time they speak, they say idiotic things. Language matters should be \
addressed by competent people, not by guys who only advertise themselves.

The history of Piedmont is the history of a multiethnic state, which \
succeeded in respecting all of its member cultures until we got \
imperialists and began to “make Italy” (by slaughtering some 10 to 20% of \
the civil unarmed population of Southern Italy, in the name of Progress). \
Southern officers were deliberately killed by starvation in thousands, at \
Fort Fenestrelle, and their corpses were chemically dissolved, not to waste \
space and time for the burials, while not even a list of the names was \
kept. I am teaching my kids how bad a Piedmontese may be, along with the \
pride for their native culture. I tend to consider that more sincerity \
about these “forgotten” matters would only help in building a peaceful \
society.

> Not that I don't believe you, but who in the world does business in
> Piedmontese? I'm genuinely curious.

LOL If you lived in a country where every phone is listened to, you would \
LOVE to speak a rare language. Besides, emails get read in the West no less \
than they are read here. So we like to make business among Piedmontese \
speakers across the planet not because we are racists, but because we can \
have a wonderful privacy level, even without learning to use PGP. It’s many \
of us on the planet, and we are often quite annoyed by the fact that \
"italian Piedmontese" people tend to consider that they have a monopoly on \
decision regarding our common culture. I guess this is a problem common to \
all diasporas, reading some Jewish literature on the subject can be quite \
enlighting. :)))

On the practical linguistic side, you will find a piedmontese mailing list \
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piemontviv/ and a magazine at  \
www.e-opinion.info Take a look at them, before thinking that everyone \
speaking Piedmontese is a monster. And before thinking that we all live in \
Italy and that we all manage cows for a living (not that I would not like \
it, it's just the economic side of it that worries me). :))))))))

> I did work out a "universal" (well, at least for Latin characters) \
> keyboard  some time ago, and still type with it. See:
> http://zenith.nt.ntnu.no/linuxkla
> there is a not-so-cluttered Italian version (that should include dialects \
> and  minority languages):
> http://zenith.nt.ntnu.no/NTI
> in any case, look at the .Xmodmap file if you want to create yours. \
> Unicode is  your friend.

Thanks, I will. I am tired of using the & trick to produce an HTML file I \
can copy as normal text.

> I don't think there is a large target of users for a Piedmontese l10n;

That’s something I can hardly deny. Most users are and will remain on \
Windows.

> - I would prefer to avoid splitting the translation

> efforts…. We agreed it's better to focus on

> something everybody in Italy can use.
It makes sense to me. If us, the Piedmontese speakers, want to have such a \
translation, we are supposed to make it ourselves. All I ask for is the \
technical chance to do it, by adding files during the compilation process.

> - Usage of dialect is currently heavily loaded
> with political meaning.
Once again, why should this affect us foreign residents? We can sympathize \
with you, but don't throw your trouble on us, please.

> This is all a voluntary project; if you think you
> can support such an effort, by all means go on.
It’s not going to be me, personally. I am already working on the free \
courses of Piedmontese language for Slavic immigrants, I write for the \
Piedmontese community and I also have to make some money to feed my family. \
But we shall find someone who has the time for this.

> Translating KDE is a HUGE load of work,

> and it takes quite a team to do it.
Yes, I am aware of that. Still, it’s not going to be as bad as it would be \
if we were expected to translate Windows, right?

Salut-me nostre Alp, che mi i j'hai sempe ant el cheur ;)

Cereja
Berto