List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fixing of a typo
From:       "Malcolm Hunter" <malcolm.hunter () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-23 16:30:42

> Alle 15:27, mercoledì 23 febbraio 2005, David Faure ha scritto:
> > On Sunday 20 February 2005 14:51, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Hi guys can i change the typo "continous" -> continuous in kpdf? Or
> > > should i wait after KDE 3.4?
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > Given that the fixing of typo breaks all translations, was it considered
> > write a script which fixes the msgid in all .po files when fixing a typo
> in
> > the sources? That way all translations remain valid.
>
> I don't know - it might turn out to be dangerous. If a msgid has a
> misleading
> typo, which might have caused wrong translations, this might be a worse
> evil
> yet: we will not get a warning that something ought to be checked.
>
> Of course most people will understand "continous" for "continuous", and
> translate correctly accordingly. But I'm afraid that this could be a back
> door for developers to "fix" English typos without upsetting translators,
> and they might end abusing it. Result: translations go bad and we don't
> even
> notice because there is no fuzzy generated.
>
> Maybe a central i18n authority should be invoked when fixing =>obvious<=
> typos
> (as the one discussed here, "continous") during the freeze:
>
> 1. dev's notice the typo,
> 2. they tell, say, Stephan Kulow,
> 3. he approves/rejects the fix depending on how likely that typo might
> have
> been misunderstood; if approved, run a patcher script.
> 3.1. if misunderstanding is likely, evaluate if it is absolutely necessary
> fix it, in case it is, post on the i18n mailing list.

How about a new comment that can be searched for by translators and KBabel
is aware of? In other words: something like #maybefuzzy? This means the
localisation won't revert to English but would still make the translators
aware.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
KDE Proof Reading Team
KDE British English Translation Team

http://i18n.kde.org/teams/info/en_GB

DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl