List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Add Russian voice to KTTS
From:       Erik =?utf-8?q?Kj=C3=A6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2005-02-19 14:33:31

Lørdag 19 februar 2005 08:30 skrev Rinse de Vries:
> Op zaterdag 5 februari 2005 13:12, schreef Federico Zenith:
> > > Also, I *should* update the KTTS Handbook (kdeaccessibility/doc/kttsd)
> > > to add instructions for obtaining and using the Russian voice.   May I
> > > do that?
> >
> > ...this would break the translation, since the docs must be 100% to be
> > translated...
>
> That is not 100% correct.
> Indeed, updating the docbook would break the translations.
> But for teams that already had 100% of the doc translated, but don't have
> time to include the changes, this does not really have to be a problem,
> because the translated docbook is generated manually.
> The only thing that happens is that de translated documentation would be
> outdated compared to the English documentation.
> IMHO that is less a problem then shipping a outdated English documentation
> with the application and offering an up to date version via a website..

It is not a problem for those who have already generated translated docbooks,
but it certainly is a problem if you get the pot-files and the docbooks out
of sync, and you are almost done with translations. This is already happening
somewhere I forget where, but there is a docbook that does not have a
corresponding pot-file. I just copied all the docbooks over from english
before I used update_xml, which means part of the documentation is in
English, but that is not so bad.

Erik