List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: context for adjectives
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-02 12:25:03

Póndźelu 31 januara 200509:40, Luciano Montanaro pisaše:
> I have been thinking about this just in these days.
> For this particular case, at least for Italian, changing "New" to "Create"
> would solve the issue. I think "Create" is a better name for a menu item,
> since it is a verb, too.
>
> If the need to keep the "New" part is felt, it could be incorporated in the
> subitem, like
>
> Create -> New File

The Russian team does something similar. The problem for most Slavic (+ Baltic
at least) languages is that they often have distinct accusative forms Italian
has not. So if I use "Create" for "New", I would need the context for the
submenu. "File" is a frequent menu entry and it would be
"Dataja"  in Upper Sorbian. In a submenu of "Stworić" (Create), however, the
Entry "File" would be translated as "Dataju". So contexts are needed either
way.

Cheers

Edi