List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: context for adjectives
From:       Luciano Montanaro <luciano.montanaro () consulenti ! fastweb ! it>
Date:       2005-01-31 9:40:59

El Viernes 28 Enero 2005 18:52, Eduard Werner escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> in languages where adjectives agree with the nouns they belong to (Slavic
> and Baltic at least) there is a problem with translating lone adjectives.
> The problem consists of two parts:
> 1) I don't know if I have to translate "New", whether it will be a new
> folder, new file or new  anything, so I don't know which form to use
> until I see the result. (I just have that problem with the string
> "Up-to-date" in kbabel.po.) 2) When the same string is taken for several
> places it's getting impossible to get all of the occurrences right
> because you can pick only one.
>
> Could we - step by step - provide all occurrences of lone adjectives with
> a context containing the noun (or nouns) it belongs to? If there would be
> several nouns like in submenus
>
> New -> File
>   Folder
>  Anything

I have been thinking about this just in these days.
For this particular case, at least for Italian, changing "New" to "Create"
would solve the issue. I think "Create" is a better name for a menu item,
since it is a verb, too.

If the need to keep the "New" part is felt, it could be incorporated in the
subitem, like

Create -> New File

but I think that is redundant.

Luciano