List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Help with Hebrew calendar
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2005-01-26 2:44:43

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm badly monolingual, and need some
help with translation of the KDE calendar support for Hebrew
(kdelibs/kdecore/kcalendarsystemhebrew.cpp)

Specifically, I'm trying to address some issues associated with short names of
"months" in the Hebrew calendar. I think I have this fixed correctly for
Gregorian, Jalali and Hijri, but the Hebrew fix requires knowledge of the
abbreviations that I don't have. Note that I'm not trying to translate them,
just make sure that the English representations are right.

So, in Gregorian, the current month is "January", and the possessive form is
"of January".  KDE also provides a short name ("Jan") and possessive short
name ("of Jan") function. So can someone who understands this calendar please
tell the appropriate short names for each of these (or confirm that they are
never abbreviated):
Tishrey
Heshvan
Kislev
Tevet
Shvat
Adar
Nisan
Iyar
Sivan
Tamuz
Av
Elul
Adar I
Adar II

The possessive form is worse. Here is the code:
// ### Fixme
QString KCalendarSystemHebrew::monthNamePossessive(int month, int year,
                                                  bool shortName) const
{
  return "of " + monthName(month, year, shortName);
}

I'll fix that (returning something that might be translatable), if someone can
confirm that the correct possessive form (in English) is "of {name}", or
explain the right rules.

Please note that if you want to see a simple example/test, go to
kdelibs/kdecore/tests/, and "make kcalendartest". This can then be used to
exercise the various calendars, including Hebrew.

Thanks for your time.

Brad