List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Remember to copy your branch to HEAD
From:       Dwayne Bailey <dwayne () translate ! org ! za>
Date:       2005-01-05 15:17:34

On Tha, 2005-01-05 at 10:31 +0000, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 Jan 2005 09:35, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> <snip>
> > You will want to check what has changed as some things you will probably
> > want to discard.  If you are working against CVS it is easy to run cvs
> > diff -u to see what has changed.
> <snip>
>
> Is there anything to be said (for or against) the stupid way of doing it,
> which is:
> 1 Check out a copy of HEAD into a dir on your HD
> 2 Copy all the files from your HD working copy of 3.3 into the HEAD dir,
> overwriting the existing ones where necessary
> 3 Commit the revised HEAD, and wait 24 hours for scripty to merge in the new
> HEAD stuff and throw out any unused 3.3 stuff
> 4 Update your HEAD copy, and continue translating in that until the branch
> 5 When HEAD is branched to 3.4, check out a copy of 3.4 into a dir on your HD,
> forget HEAD, and continue translating in 3.4
>
> Presumably this wouldn't work if you have already done some translations in
> HEAD, and don't want those overwritten, but the original poster is not in
> this position.  I suspect that the most time-effective method for most of us,
> especially recent arrivals, is to do all translation work in the branch,
> because that is the element that will get packaged/updated in the distros.
> Transfer that to HEAD before branch, and once HEAD is branched, keep working
> in the new branch, ignoring HEAD until the next branch is announced, when you
> transfer to HEAD again.  You therefore approach HEAD nirvana by crabwise
> manoeuvres on the branches, but these result in on-the-ground progress in the
> meantime, which is what we all want.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something - if so, let me know!

That will work.  And it's painless.  Only problem I see if if someone
else corrected something in HEAD that you are unaware of - a compile
related issue for instance - then you will overwrite that.

Also you won't see files deleted/moved so you will still need to check
what files are on your current branch and have been moved migrated in
HEAD.

--
Dwayne Bailey <dwayne@translate.org.za>
Translate.org.za