List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Release schedules, Was: Zombie module?
From:       Erik =?iso-8859-1?q?Kj=E6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2004-09-28 21:14:43

Tirsdag 28 september 2004 16:43 skrev Rinse de Vries:
> Yeps, but the kdekiosk module will not be released with kde.
> it will be a seperate module, with it's own release schedule, just like
> koffice, kdevelop and all the applications in kdeextragear (including
> kiosktool :o) have their own release schedule..

I understand why developers want to have these separate release schedules, but
it is a disaster for translations. At work we have 50 machines running kde,
including the various i18n-modules, but not including say koffice-i18n. It is
getting to the point I even don't install it myself. If I want koffice in
Danish and do not do my own compile I have to install the koffice-i18n rpm,
and similarly for each of the programs in kdeextragear. I believe very few
people do that, and I am beginning to think it is not worth it to translate
anything that does not get released with the main releases, because that is
as far as I can tell the only thing that ever gets seen by anybody.

I am not sure there is a solution, but this way of spreading the i18n stuff
all over the place I am sure does not work well. Maybe an i18n-xx module for
each language that contains everything from the most recent releases is the
way to go. Since the programs are free of charge I guess it is not an
unreasonable assumption that people have installed the most recent version,
and it is less of a waste of space to have a few .mo-files and manuals from
programs I don't have installed than it is to have lots of translations on my
disk for languages I do not speak

Erik