List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: flags and countries
From:       Rafael Beccar <rafabeccar () speedy ! com ! ar>
Date:       2004-08-23 3:35:33

El Dom 22 Ago 2004 19:41, Gérard Delafond escribió:
>Hi !
>
>I am wondering how the choice of the flags is done in the contry selection
>(kcontrol) and in timezones.
>
>In Country and Language, I saw french dependencies are shown with local
> flags.

And why not ? ... I know this could be controversial, but  I think that if
those territories made a local flag is because they want to use it.

For example, in the case of Mayotte you mention below, I investigated about
this and found that it is true that Mayotte is administered by France, but it
is claimed by Comoros (see http://www.ksu.edu/sasw/comoros/comoros.html). So,
what flag should be used French flag or Comorian flag?

I think the local flag is the best choice if there is one, and I'd rather no
flag if there isn't a local flag. Just like current KDE state.

>Is it a political choice ? As a french citizen I did not even know these
> flags existed. (St Pierre & Miquelon, French Guyane, Wallis, etc.)

Mmm... I don't see French Guyane in the list of countries. I think you are
taking about the Republic of Guyane, that is an independent country. So,
Guyane and French Guyane are both in South America and they are very close
each other but they are different things. And as a South American citizen I
have known about this flag since I was a kid.     ;-)

Best Regards,
Rafael