List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re:  Improving KDE with translators
From:       Roger Kovacs <rkovacs () khujand ! org>
Date:       2004-08-20 13:03:23

I have followed this thread with great interest, learning how other
countries have implemented quality control in their translating
projects.  It seems like such an ideal world compared to the reality of
the challenges facing the smaller emerging nations.  I am fortunate like
many of you reading this, at home or work with high speed broadband
connection to the internet.  (I am in the USA.)
When I started the Tajik Linux translation project a few years ago, it
was with a key-pal over e-mail, and it just grew.  I e-mailed the po
files to Tajikistan, had volunteers translate them with text editors.
They would e-mail them back.  There was no internet connections at the
time, only a store/forward e-mail system at a non-profit center that
allowed the citizens to send e-mail with a max quota of 256K per month
(the telephone connection is unreliable.)  I don't know the Tajik
language, but I could run the Linux tools, fix the syntax errors in the
returned .po file and check it in using CVS.  That is how we got
started.
Today it is not much different.  I still am the central point for some
quality control, and making the .po file assignments to volunteer
translators.  All the files are sent to me via e-mail.  I check them in
CVS.  (I still don't know Tajik!)  But I do use konstruct to build the
system as often as I can (I am still very unsuccessful doing a build
using CVS).  I periodically then express ship via DHL or other carrier
some CDs to Tajikistan for them to see the fruits of their labor.  Even
express shipping is very expensive $60 and takes 3 weeks (even though
they guarantee 7 days!)  Fixes are then made.  I have also scheduled
one trip per year.  The trip is primarially for quality control
purposes.  There are too many different words being coined for the
unique computer terms.  It is very difficult not having internet to
coordinate vocabulary, but I prefer, at least in the beginning like we
are, to get numerous suggestions, then form a committee to have them
vote for the best term and create standards this way.
One day very soon, Tajikistan will have a computer system in native
Tajik, where the citizens, students, businesses and government have a
useful computer system.  There are many dedicated volunteers working
this project.  I do want to thank all the translators around the world
for the support, the tools, the dialog, and ideas that have allowed
Linux/KDE translations to be feasible, even under such limitations.
On my way to Tajikistan this year I will be stopping at the aKademy for
the last two days.  In addition, I have sponsored one outstanding young
Tajik translator to attend the entire aKademy.  I encourage any other
translator attending the aKademy to find Victor Ibragimov and introduce
themselves, and share their lessons learned.
  Have a great day everyone!

Roger Kovacs
Tajik Linux Team Lead