List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-19 14:38:41

Torsdag 19 august 2004 10:25 skrev Jeroen Wijnhout:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:22, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> > Torsdag 19 august 2004 09:47 skrev Gérard Delafond:
> > > Example : how do you translate "Display options" ?
> >
> > That is indeed a problem that is most easily solved by thedeveloper
> > putting in a translators comment saying e.g noun-noun or verb-noun
>
> Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
>
> That is solved by the translator running the program of course!
>
> best,
> Jeroen
Would you please do me a favor and go to the statistic pages
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/index.php
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/doc/HEAD/index.php

You will then notice there are 99919 strings in kde and 53353 strings in the
docs. It is clearly not humanly possible to find each and every one of them
and check if it is being used correctly. Let us be generous and say it would
take 10 seconds pr string. I will let you do the math. What you are saying
corresponds to saying that no program should be released before it is bug
free. You know perfectly well that no program would ever be released that
way, and the same thing is true of translations.I get bug reports, mostly
sent to me directly, and it has happened once or twice that it was something
that really disturbed the meaning, but generally it was not that bad. The
translations get tested in  use, just like the programs do.

Erik