List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-18 9:34:12

Hi Henrique,

>Em Sáb 17 Jul 2004 19:30, Heiko Evermann escreveu:
>

>>>Please note that some application in KDE do no have po-files in Hebrew and
>>>I still see that some translation is made. This is the issue, all other
>>>parts are things that come with this bug.
>>>

>>Frankly, this is just what we indended with the language fall back. It
>>is not a bug, it is a feature.
>>

>Really? I was about to report it to b.k.o when I started reading this thread.
>I understand that the new behaviour may be benefical to some users, but it is
>really annoying to other users. And the fact that it doesn't work correctly
>makes it worse still (for example, my KMail is now displaying in English some
>strings that are translated in both the Romanian and Brazilian Portuguese
>kmail.mo).

Now that is strange indeed. The new approach will not show more English
than the old one. It was the big problem of the old approach that all
gaps were filled in English.

So if you get English strings in kmail that you did not get before, then
I guess that you get it, because kmail changed the original text and the
translations that you have installed, now no longer match the English
text that kmail looks for. But (of course), it could also be some
strange bug, and therefore I would really like to have a concrete
example (screenshot preferred). Then I could have a look at it.

>Can you please consider adding an option for disabling this, or reverting it
>completely? I understand that we are in deep freeze, but given that this is
>so annoying, I think this NEEDS to be solved before 3.3.0.

Well, I had thought about adding an option and came to the conclusion
that it would look like this:
<quote>
If the translation of a program into your favorite language is
incomplete, fill the gaps with translations drawn from
a) Second/third choice language, whereever possible
b) with English always
</quote>
That would be the choice between the old and the new way. And option b
to me does not make much sense.Who would chose b)? I cannot imagine
anyone. So I did not add an option for this.

The only aspect in all this discussion that has *some* merit is that one
could skip loading a language where appname.gmo is not available. So
only those languages would be merged where a translator has started
translating appname.po. I will try to implement that. That would solve
the problem for Hebrew. (And as I said: for Low Saxon we would add a
dummy po-file for all apps as we would want to merge with German
always.) Would that be a consensus in this group? Would there be some
people here who would be willing to test that once it is coded?

Kind regards,

Heiko