List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Wotm: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-07-17 23:08:16

On Sunday 18 July 2004 00:37, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> >>As a translator, you might expect that. But I still don' t understand why
> >>you don't want to present the user with strings if they already are
> >>translated.
> >
> >There are users that do not like that. They want it fully translated or
> >nothing at all.
>
> Then one should be able to choose in kcontrol, whether or not to mix.
>
> >(And it gives you bad media reviews, at least in Germany.)
>
> Really? Who? How? As the German translation of KDE has almost all apps
> at least partially translated, there should not be a difference between
> the old way for German users. They would still have German and some gaps
> in English. The change is only relevant for languages with partial
> translation and more than main language+English in kcontrols.

What I mean is that critics about incomplete translations are coming
over-and-over again, we should perhaps avoid to create extra cases where
there is a mix of languages. (No, personally, I am not complaining about
translators' works, not at all.)

> What one could do to help people like Diego would be to exclude a
> language from the language list, if appname.gmo is not present. But I
> would still want to see a language fall back after that. For Low Saxon
> that would mean that we put a dummy appname.po with no translations for
> each and every po file in our Low Saxon file tree. One could do that. :)

Yes, there really seem to have 2 needs, as there seems also to have 2 sorts of
users:
- the ones wanting only a single language
- the ones wanting as much as possible of their language (or as a variant: as
less English as possible.)

> Kind regards,

Have a nice day!

> Heiko

PS.: sorry for the wrong date/time of my previous emails of tonight.