List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-07-17 20:41:11

On Sunday 18 July 2004 00:30, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>
> >áSaturday 17 July 2004 07:49, ðëúá òì éãé Heiko Evermann:
(...)
> >>The translation strings are drawn from the application's po-file
> >>(usually appname.gmo, sometimes some more like in konqueror) plus
> >>kdelibs.gmo and kio.gmo. kdelibs.gmo and kio.gmo should be in good shape
> >>as they are central to KDE. The old way was that translations were not
> >>shown at all, unless kio.gmo and kdelibs.gmo were present.
> >
> >There it is. I will quote you again:
> >
> >"The translation strings are drawn from the application's po-file.... plus
> >kdelibs.gmo and kio.gmo"
> >
> >But what if that app does not have a po-file to begin with? This is the
> >situation at the moment.  Me as a translator decided to keep that app in
> > the original state, since I cannot work on it (for example lack of
> > terminology in that language, or lack of time).
>
> The good news about it is that you do not have to worry about it. If
> appname.gmo is not present you will only get strings from kdelibs.po and
> kio.po which you had already translated and checked. They contain
> standard strings like

This is a change of the previous behaviour (of KDE 3.2) and is going to give
bad reviews.

Personally I thought that if the application.gmo was missing the language was
discarded for this application. Somehow I misunderstood that it was not done
so.

On the other side, I can understand why you did so.

So meanwhile I would prefer the solution with the extra dialog to choose the
one or the other behaviour. (If not any dialog, then at least a setting in a
file, defaulting to KDE 3.2's behaviour.)

(Personally I do not mind, I can have a mix of English, French and German and
would use it. But I know that my father would not have liked such a thing.)

> * open file
> * help
> * about {appname}
> * date chooser in your most favourite language
> * file chooser in your most favourite language
> * search and replace dialog in your most favourite language
> I see no reason to withhold these dialogs from the user. He will get
> them in his favourite language once the translation of appname.po is
> begun, anyway. Why should you present these dialogs to the user in two
> different languages?
(...)

Have a nice day!