List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Wotm: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-17 20:45:33

Njedźelu 18 julija 200402:37, Diego Iastrubni pisaše:
> This means that if the application was not translated at all to the first
> language in the list, don't even try to find strings in the other
> catalogues in that language. This will also lead to less mixtures of
> languages within the same application.
>
> The situation which I am trying to avoid is this one:
> I start k3b (which has no translation), and I see it with the menus [1] in
> Hebrew (file, edit, help... etc, are in kdelibs.po no?) and the UI is RTL,
> while all other parts of the application are in English.

I did understand your pseudocode as I have understood your previous mail,
I just don't get why you want to avoid the aforementioned situation. It looks
perfectly ok for me.

> There is no translation for k3b, and I expect to be in English.

As a translator, you might expect that. But I still don' t understand why you
don't want to present the user with strings if they already are translated.

> I don't mind filling holes in translations, but when those holes are about
> 80% of the strings, this is a problem. This is what I meant in my last post
> when I said "quality of the translation".

I doubt that that much would be filled in -- I would be glad if it could,
however. I'm living with koffice files that are translated to a much lesser
degree and lots of applications aren't translated at all (yet) for Upper
Sorbian. Furthermore, the user might get the idea of installing a new,
freshly released program. I would find it very convenient if some stuff could
directly represented in his preferred language then.

But if people feel different about the same thing, it should definitely be a
user option, something going into the language stuff. Maybe a checkbox like
"Use strings from kdelibs for missing translations" would help so both parties
can get what they want.

Cheers

Edi