List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Untranslatable stuff in Korganizer
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-06-25 13:33:50

On Friday,  25. June 2004 14:32, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> After trying some days, I will give up. There is no way to translate
> to Estonian yearly event recurrence configuration

Yes, I'm aware of that problem. You see, there are three different types of
yearly recurrences ([..] denotes a value that can be changed):
1) Recurrence on the [n]-th day of the year.
2) Recurrence on a certain date, like [June] [25].
3) Recurrence on the [N]th [weekday] of the month [June] (e.g. first, last,
third friday of June)

1) shouldn't be a problem in any language. We have one part of the sentence
before the spin box, and another (possibly empty) part after the spin box.

2) is already a problem in German/English. In German we always put the number
before the month, e.g. 25. Juni, while in English it's typically the other
way round, e.g. June 25. Now, both the date and the month should be
changeable, but unfortunately the layout of a dialog in Qt is fixed, only the
strings used on the widgets are translated.

3) is next to impossible to get it correct in every possible language.

> 1) There is no prefixes in Estonian.
>    January - Jaanuar
>    of January - Jaanuari
>    in January - Jaanuaris
>    in 1. January - 1. jaanuaril
>
>    Tuesday - Teisipäev
>    in Tuesday - Teisipäeval
>    etc. etc.
>
> 2) Numeric representation of "first", "second", "third" etc. requires
> dot after number in Estonian.

Same in German. In English it's even "st", "nd", "rd", "th". That's simply not
possible to implement, so I used "on day [N] of [month]" as a workaround that
doesn't need a dot in the two languages I know.

> 3) Order of comboboxes.

The only way to make it somehow work is to add a translated format string like
i18n("&Recur on the [nthweekday] [weekday] of [month]")
The parts between [..] would denote the widgets to change the corresponding
values. If a special pre-/postfix is needed, one could add them after a |
(e.g. [daynumber|prefix|suffix], in yourcase [daynumber||.]). Where
appropriate we would need the possibility to have the month name, or the
possessive month name; and similar for the weekdays.

Then i18n teams would translate the above example to something like (for
German)
"&Wiederholt am [nthweekday] [weekday] im [month]"
or (for Estonian, from what I understand from your screenshot)
"[monthPossessive] [nthweekday] [onWeekday]"

and
i18n("&Recur on day [daynumber] of the year")
would be translated to (German)
"Wiederholt am [daynumber||.] Tag des Jahres"
or (Estonian)
"Aasta [daynumber||.] päeval."

and i18n("&Recur on [month] [daynumber]")
would become (German)
"Wiederholt am [daynumber||.] [month]"
and (Estonian)
"[monthPossessive] [daynumber||.] päeval."

Would that work on all languages?
The next issue is then who would implement all this parsing and checking the
format strings...

Cheers,
Reinhold